If it’s your first time in Jackson, and you’re looking to get into some Nordic skiing, fat biking, or snowshoeing, look no further than JH Nordic! Our comprehensive resources can guide you in making the most of your winter recreation experience. For help planning your first (or next) trip in Jackson Hole, check out our guide below.
Where to Go:
Find a Nordic ski tour, fat bike tour, or snowshoe tour from local winter tour specialists, find your own tour/trail on JHNordic.com, or take a lesson:
- Tour operators:
- Best Trails on JH Nordic
- How to search for a trail on Trails Page
- Take a lesson at:
- Mountain preparation and Knowledge – BackCountry Zero – If you are interested in adventuring off-the-beaten trail in winter, this excellent local resource is a must-read.
Rent Nordic gear (skis, boots, poles), a fat bike, snowshoes, or bring your own!
- Some tour operators will provide these as part of the tour – See list of Tour operators above or in the Winter Tour Outlook
- Rental shops (see https://jhnordic.com/resources/ for the list)
- BYO gear (new and used gear sources)
What to wear and bring on your tour:
In a small backpack make sure to pack:
- Warm layers: hat, gloves, wool socks, warm jacket, and base layers
- Sun protection: buff, sunglasses, sunscreen
- Wear a mask or buff (doubled up) in case of any close encounters
- Water or thermos of tea or coffee and a snack
- Phone or camera
- Map (or follow GPS on https://jhnordic.com/trails/)
Getting to the trailhead
- Car (high convenience factor if you have access to one)
- Public “START” bus goes to these trails:
- Taxi or lift share (Uber)
- Bike – some people strap their XC skis on their backpack and ride our pathways to their local trail (see photo below)
Go Ski, Bike, Snowshoe
- Plan ahead and prepare – parking is limited at many trailheads, so have an alternate plan.
- Safety – keep you and your group safe, dress warmly, in layers, Remember all your gear!
- Respect -Wildlife, other people, wild places (Leave No Trace), rules, including dog rules.
- Check out the trail map on JHNordic.com/trails/ to find your trail, find your way.
- Follow your location on the JHNordic GPS map.
- Take some photos and videos!
- Enjoy a snack, lunch on the trail, a hot drink, or some chocolate!
Apres-Ski & Apres-Bike
- Check out a vast range of cozy places in Jackson Hole and Teton Valley for a post-activity lunch, coffee/hot chocolate, treat, drinks, or dinner by the fire
- Share your day with friends & family–and on Instagram using the hashtag #jhnordic
- Shop for new gear or warm clothes
- Plan out your next adventure!
For further ideas, check out “10-tips and tricks to make your cross-country experience epic” on The Nordic Approach. Or ask any of the tour companies or specialty retail shops listed above for their expertise on making your Winter Trail adventure amazing !